If you are considering chiropractic treatment, there are probably a plethora of questions running through your mind. What do I wear? How does the treatment work? What can I expect? If chiropractic is new to you, you may not know what to expect. That’s okay - and that’s why we do a chiropractic consultation before starting any type of treatment.
1. Patient History
The first thing you’ll do at your chiropractic consultation is going through your patient history. It will be important for your chiropractor to know of any previous surgeries you’ve had, any chronic illnesses you suffer from, and any injuries that cause problems for you. Whether or not you think these might be related to the reason for your appointment, let your chiropractor make that call. The more information you can provide them with, the better your treatment is likely to be.
The next part of your chiropractic consultation will be to discuss the symptoms that brought you into the chiropractor in the first place. There are a number of different scenarios in which regular chiropractic treatment can be beneficial, from back pain to muscle soreness to allergies, even. You want to have an open line of communication with your chiropractor from the first appointment so they can offer the best course of treatment to help you resolve your pain and any other symptoms you may experience.
3. Initial Evaluation
The evaluation plays a critical role in your chiropractic consultation. This step allows your doctor to get to know your body and the best way to treat it. This evaluation can include a variety of different methods, including x-rays, hands-on treatment, having you perform various static and dynamic stretches or a combination of all of these different tactics. All of these efforts can help your chiropractor determine what type of treatment will be the most beneficial for you.
4. Development Of Treatment Protocol
After your chiropractic consultation, you and your doctor will walk through the protocol for your treatment. In most cases, chiropractic treatments include a variety of different methods, all playing a unique role in your well-being.
- Spinal Adjustments - Spinal adjustments are an integral part of chiropractic medicine. With both traditional and no-pop options, your chiropractor can use this technique to relieve pressure between your joints and realign your spine.
- Electronic Stimulation - This technique is often used in combination with other methods determined in a chiropractic consultation for pain relief. Electric pulses can be used to stimulate deep in the nervous system and block pain receptors or retrain muscles.
- Cupping - Cupping is a branch of massage therapy that encourages blood flow to an area of injury. It has been proven to be a very beneficial method of treatment for relieving muscle tension.
- Massage Therapy - Traditional massage therapy can help support the course of treatment you and your doctor determine during your chiropractic consultation.
- Stretching & Exercises - Depending on the origin of your symptoms, your chiropractor can provide you with stretches and exercises that help you balance the wear and tear your everyday life can wreak on your body.
Chiropractic Consultation & Ongoing Treatment
The first step to pain relief and an improved well-being is setting up a chiropractic consultation. Finding the right course of healing or preventative treatment can be a life-changing decision. Schedule a chiropractic consultation with Dr. Funk at Ideal Health today.