Does Stretching Really Alleviate Pain?
Absolutely! Experts and professionals all across the healthcare industry agree that stretching is an effective way to alleviate bodily aches and pains (Healthline).
Numerous studies have shown a strong correlation between daily stretching routines and reduced pain problems. In fact, one systematic review of stretching studies published in the Journal of Rehabilitation Medicine found that stretching can help prevent work-related musculoskeletal disorders and reduce spinal-related pain.
Stretching can offer numerous additional benefits on top of that pain relief. Some of the top benefits of stretching include:
- Reduced tension in your muscles supporting the spine
- Increased flexibility
- Improved range of motion and overall mobility
- Reduced risk of disability caused by back pain
- Improved muscular strength and health
A Daily Stretching Routine From Our Chiropractor In Highlands Ranch, CO
Stretching once won't magically cure your back pain. You'll need to keep at it over time and remain committed to the process.
As you run through the following stretches, remember to listen to your body. It's natural to feel tension during a stretch, but be sure to stop and try a different stretch if you feel overwhelmed by pain.
1. Child's Pose/Prayer Stretch
This yoga pose is one of the best stretches to alleviate lower back pain! Kneel down onto the floor and spread out your knees. Sit back on your heels and bend forward the waist. Bring your head to the floor and extend your arms out over your head.
Hold this pose for roughly 30-60 seconds before sitting back up. You should feel a nice stretch in your lower back as you lengthen it.
2. Knee-To-Chest Stretch
Tight hamstrings can be a common contributor to lower back pain, so it's important to stretch out your glutes and hamstrings.
For this stretch, lie down on your back on a flat surface. Raise your left knee and place your hands behind your leg. Pull your knee towards your chest until you feel a stretch in the back of your leg. Hold the stretch for approximately 30-60 seconds before switching to the other leg.
3. Flexion Stretches
It's important to stretch out your neck regularly throughout the day to avoid neck and shoulder pain. We've grouped a few effective neck and shoulder stretches here. Hold each stretch for approximately 30 seconds and remember to listen to your body as you stretch.
- Chin to chest - Gently bend your head forward and bring your chin towards your chest. You may even use your hands to pull your head down further. You should feel a nice stretch in the back of your neck.
- 45-degree neck stretch - Using one hand, pull your head 45 degrees to the right side of your body. Repeat this on the left side.
- Ear to shoulder - Keep your shoulder relaxed as you gently bend the neck to one side. Envision touching your ear to your shoulder. Repeat on your opposite side.
- Levator scapula stretch - In either a standing or seated position, rest one arm against a wall or doorjamb with your elbow slightly above your shoulder. Turn your body to face away from the wall. You should feel a nice stretch in your shoulder. Repeat on the opposite side.
4. Cat-Cow Stretch
This yoga pose is actually two stretches in one and is a great way to self-mobilize your thoracic spine (your upper back). The movement between the cat and cow poses helps mobilize your vertebra to help reduce stiffness and encourage natural spine movements. Plus, it can be helpful in alleviating upper back pain.
Start the stretch on all fours, with your knees under your hips and hands under your shoulders. Inhale as you arch your back, move your site bones up, and press your chest towards the floor. Exhale out of the "cow" position into the "cat" pose as your round out your back, push your shoulder blades together, and move your head up. Repeat this cycle at least 10 times for maximum effect.
Find Pain Relief With Our Chiropractor In Highlands Ranch, CO
If you need fast and effective pain relief, one of your best options is chiropractic care. Fortunately, you've already come to the right place.
At Ideal Health Chiropractic, we can help alleviate your chronic pains with personalized chiropractic care services. We will take the time to understand your pains, identify the root cause of your condition, and provide effective chiropractic treatment for your needs. And when you stop by our office for a chiropractic adjustment, we'll show you an additional series of daily stretches that you can do at the office for long-lasting pain relief.
Book your first appointment with our chiropractor in Highlands Ranch, CO today!